City of Hope Sterile Processing Technician in Duarte, California
Hourly Range: 18.11 - 27.17
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Processes supplies, instruments and equipment. Restocks and maintains storage of supplies and case cart system. Assists in other departmental functions/duties as needed or directed to assure safe, effective, efficient, speedy patient care.
- Processes instruments, supplies and equipment according to established policies and procedures.
- Maintains an adequate supply of packs and supplies to meet area needs including inventory control, proper labeling and labeling of packages.
- Responsible for reporting faulty equipment and deficiencies in procedures. 
- Participates in educational programs and inservice meetings.
- Assists with care and maintenance of department equipment and supplies.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
The following shared, organization-wide competencies describe the desired behaviors that will facilitate success at City of Hope:
- Communication - Expresses ideas clearly and constructively (written and spoken, upward and downward, one-on-one and with groups).
- Customer Service - Seeks to understand customer needs and works to exceed customer expectations (internal and external).
- Initiative - Looks for opportunities to improve performance; manages time, work, and relationships effectively and efficiently.
- Professionalism - Treats others with respect; abides by the institutional values; displays a positive and cooperative attitude; adheres to the workplace Code of Conduct and compliance policies.
- Stewardship - Identifies efficiencies to reduce redundancy and/or elimination of tasks resulting in savings of cost, resources, and or/time.
- Teamwork - Works proactively and collaboratively with others to streamline work and achieve mutual goals.
- Post High School Vocational/Specialized Training
- Experience may substitute for minimum education requirements
- One year sterile processing experience in an acute care setting.
- Maintains knowledge in surgical and medical technology through inservices/courses
- CPR, required.
- CRCST (Certified Registered Central Service Technician), preferred
- Previous experience in central supply operations. Knowledge of instrumentation and sterilization and case cart systems
- Foster/promote a positive image and professional appearance Sensitivity to intercultural relations
- Answer telephones
- Instruct/train others
- Monitor and/or document environmental parameters
- Troubleshoot problems
- Sterile technique
- Steam autoclaves
- Sterrad Machine
- Instrument washers
- Scope Washers
- Surgical instruments, scopes and power equipment
Working / Environmental Conditions
- May be exposed to infections and contagious diseases
- Likely exposure to infectious, radioactive or biohazardous agents
- Subject to burns and cuts
- Occasional exposure to unpleasant patient or unit elements
- Subject to varying and unpredictable situations
- Handles emergency or crisis situations
- Occasionally subjected to irregular hours
- Regularly exposed to the risk of bloodborne pathogens
- Potential exposure to mutagenic substances
- Atmosphere and environment associated with operating room settings
Req. Protective Equipment
- Eye Protection/Goggles
- Face Protection
- Non-Sterile Medical Gloves
- Protective Shoe Covers
- Heavy physical effort (lift/carry up to 50 lbs.)
- Prolonged, extensive, or considerable standing/walking
- Lifts supplies/equipment
- Manual dexterity and mobility
- Considerable reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching
- Works at tasks involving focused concentration
- Excellent oral/written communication and organizational skills
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.