City of Hope Senior Information Security Engineer in Irwindale, California
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Information Security Engineer performs technical and operational tasks to design, develop, implement and maintain information security solutions using technologies and processes to uphold the confidentiality, integrity and availability of City of Hope's information assets. The incumbent in this role conducts protocol and traffic analysis, can execute effective countermeasures to current threats to systems and networks, has comprehensive knowledge of the inter-relationship between operating systems, Active Directory, IDS-IPS, vulnerability detection tools, SQL, TCP/IP, encryption, VPNs, and DMZs. This role requires strong knowledge of information security exploits and incident handling, with a GIAC certification as a Certified Incident Handler. The incumbent will lead engineering projects to implement the information security infrastructure, as well as assist other projects enhancing the Information Security Program, including recommendations on technology strategies that monitor and alert on anomalies.
- Proactively prepare countermeasures to defend information systems against known attack techniques: backdoors and Trojan horses, buffer overflows, covering tracks in Unix-Linux, on the network, using steganography, denial-of-service, format string attacks, IP address spoofing, kernel-mode rootkits, user-mode rootkits, network sniffing, password attacks, passive fingerprinting, war-dialing, web application attacks, worms, bots and bot-nets, and session hijacking.
- Manage the implementation and ongoing capabilities of a SIEM (Security Incident and Event Management).
- Lead the analysis of the intrusion prevention system (IPS) events and escalate as needed.
- Provide forensic analysis of security violations.
- Conduct periodic self-assessment and gap analysis related to information security controls and manage the remediation to correct the gaps.
- Verify network, wireless and firewall security systems by conducting reviews and policy assessments.
- Support and maintain information security related technologies and architectures, such as, but not limited to, IDS (intrusion detection systems), VPNs (virtual private networks), data loss prevention tools, VLANs, firewall architectures, proxy servers, internet access policy servers, authentication systems, and content screening servers.
- Ensure compliance to regulations, business requirements and City of Hope policies, standards, and procedures.
- Design, document, and support network security design changes including wireless network.
- Document and execute integration processes and standards.
- Document and report performance measurements for information security related products in service.
- Conduct system security and vulnerability analyses and risk assessments.
- Trains new or less experienced employees, providing instruction on how to perform job tasks and explains why the tasks are performed and why the tasks have to be performed in that manner.
- Represents the ISO in internal COH meetings.
- Perform special projects as assigned by the ISO.
- Internal Contacts: Across all VP/Director/Managers, ITS departments, COH financial and administrative business, BRI/research areas, Division of Information Sciences, Population Sciences, etc., all COH clinical areas, the COH Graduate School and external vendors related to Information Security.
- External Contacts: Software/hardware vendors related to Information Security.
- Budget/Financial Administration: Financial tracking and status reporting on assigned project efforts.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience of ten years or more in a technology related field.
- Eight or more years in a technology related field, with a minimum of 6 years of information security specific experience. Hospital/healthcare industry experience is desirable, but not required.
- 7 years of experience within Information Security is required
- CISSP - Certified Information System Security Professional
- Master's degree preferred
- Any GIAC certification:
- GISP Information Security Professional,
- GSEC Security Essentials Certification,
- SSCP- Systems Security Certified Practitioner,
- GISF- Information Security Forensics,
- CBCP (Certified in Business Continuity Planning)
- CISCO certifications
- Thorough in-depth technical and engineering knowledge of Information Security tools, practices, policies and processes in a multi-vendor environment.
- System security design, maintenance and testing.
- In depth technical knowledge of technologies within the information security industry used to defend from hackers and breaches, information processing platforms, operating systems and networks, wireless technologies, security technology associated with networking infrastructure components, remote access products, single sign-on, biometrics, firewalls, computer system architecture, auditing techniques and risk analysis principles. Strong background in TICP/IP networking protocols, firewalls, VPN, security assessments, and access control.
- 2 years of LAN/WAN setup, support, and troubleshooting
- 1-2 years hardware and software troubleshooting experience
- Computer Engineering, or Computer Science
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, clear articulation of complex issues, and, problem-resolution skills a must.
- Working knowledge of design, implementation, and maintenance of : security incident and event management (SIEM), local area networks and firewalls, Active Directory, group policy objects, scripting, vulnerability scanning, encryption, IDS/IPS, web filtering, LDAP, multi-factor authentication systems, exploits and hacker techniques, CASB tools, and, network and operating system security principles.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and organizational skills
- Interpersonal and negotiating skills
- Foster/promote a professional image
- Works well independently or on multiple projects as a project team member or project leader
- Security Incident and Event Management systems
- Identity and Access Management solutions
- Log monitoring software
- Vulnerability Management tools
- Database vulnerability and monitoring tools
- VMware (virtual machine software)
- Encryption software
- Anti-malware and anti-virus detection software
- VPN Technologies
- Event Collection/Compliance software
- Unix/Linux OS
- Microsoft Windows servers and workstations
- Microsoft Office 365 Security Compliance
- Microsoft Exchange
- Network Analysis Software
- Routers / Switches
- IIS, HTTPS, SSL, SSH, POP3, DNS,(s)FTP
- Snort, Nmap, Snoop, Tcpdump, Wireshark
Working / Environmental Conditions:
- Atmosphere and environment associated with an offering setting,
- Tobacco-free campus.
- Subject to varying and unpredictable situations
- Occasionally subjected to irregular hours
- Occasional pressure due to multiple calls and inquiries.
- Occasionally covers varied shifts, weekends and holidays.
- Occasional travel required
- Light Physical effort (lift/carry up to 10 lbs.)
- Mostly sedentary work
- Occasional standing/walking
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.