City of Hope VP,Treasury&FinancialStrategy in Irwindale, California
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Vice President, Treasury and Financial Strategy is responsible for all aspects of City of Hope’s (“COH”) treasury function, and for driving and supporting initiatives related to mergers & acquisitions, joint ventures, investments, and business development which support the organization’s strategic plan and growth strategy. This role establishes an integrated strategic decision-support, risk and resource allocation framework that includes management of operations, capital, liabilities, invested assets and strategy, and works collaboratively with the Chief Financial Officer and other leaders to prioritize financial strategic opportunities and ensure the financial strategic plan aligns with the long term strategic plan.
Treasury functions include comprehensive debt management, investment management, cash management and treasury reporting. This position will provide the quantitative and analytical leadership and support in the on-going management of treasury programs, assessment of new initiatives and financial management tools particularly as they relate to the COH’s capital structure. This position will assist in the development of internal controls and administrative policies and procedures and provides the technical expertise in meeting the on-going treasury needs of COH.
The VP, Treasury and Financial Strategy reports directly to the Chief Financial Officer and is a member of the senior
· Financial Strategy:
· Supports the financial strategic plan and reviews process and mechanisms by which to keep the financial strategic plan current and leaders, as well as the Board informed of market developments.
· Develops a comprehensive corporate financial risk management framework that integrates operations and balance sheet and identifies enterprise-wide risk parameters. Provides financial insights to identify, manage and allocate capital and credit resources to ensure the organization optimizes its capital capacity and assumes appropriate risk to pursue growth opportunities.
· Promotes effective execution of financial strategic priorities through the development of key strategic initiatives and programs.
· Identifies and develops plans for new business models and revenue generating opportunities including clinical program development, geographic expansion, and practice or other business acquisitions which align with the organization’s business development goals.
· Performs financial analysis, due diligence and negotiations related to M&As, JVs, and other business development opportunities.
· Supports and executes mergers & acquisitions.
· Calculates internal and target company valuations.
· Develops growth and portfolio optimization strategies for the company.
· Creates financial plans for new corporate ventures and new business development opportunities.
· Implements management controls and reporting procedures to ensure consistent quality of strategic financial planning input across the organization.
· Develops cost of capital estimation process to ensure appropriate hurdle rates are used to determine if proposed projects/investments will be accretive or dilutive to organizational value.
· Develops financial models and forecasts.
· Conducts competitor, peer group and industry analysis.
· Creates deal structures.
· Provide financial consultation.
· Analyzes industry dynamics and the competitive landscape and identifies opportunities for expansion in key growth markets and regions (i.e. potential acquisitions, partnerships, investments, licensing, and other strategic growth opportunities).
· Evaluates financial business plans assuring their accuracy and comprehensiveness.
· In collaboration with Corporate Real Estate, develops guidelines for evaluation of proposed real estate transactions, and conducts financial due diligence and analysis in connection with complex real estate deals.
· Cultivates strong, positive and collaborative relationships with staff and leadership at all levels to ensure credibility and buy-in for initiatives and drives decision making that sustains organizational change.
· Ensures that initiatives and projects are prioritized and aligned with business needs and strategy.
· Collaborates with other leaders to support broader growth objectives throughout the organization as appropriate and provides functional direction or project oversight, as requested, for entity planning or business development functions.
· Develops and communicates the financial strategic business proposals to obtain executive leadership and Board support for proposed business development initiatives.
· Treasury Operations:
· Provides oversight and directs the activities associated with the management of COH’s cash management program including development of internal controls, maintenance of banking relationships, coordination of the flow of funds, funds movement, credit facilities, liquidity, cash forecasting and short-term investments. Manages organizational liquidity to ensure sufficient funds are available to meet operating and capital needs.
· Develops and manages COH’s capital and debt structure so as to provide the optimum cost of capital and credit rating. Reviews and evaluates all financing options and leads debt issuance transactions, including but not limited to development of plan of finance, credit ratings and investor presentations preparation, review of disclosure and legal documents.
· Develops leasing policies and guidelines and leads negotiations of leasing and other types of financing transactions.
· Provides oversight in the management of COH’s debt including compliance with borrowing guidelines, loan compliance, debt service, trust, indenture and loan agreements.
· Develops and recommends long-term investment portfolio strategy that drives return while remaining within appropriate enterprise risk parameters and provides oversight in the management of COH’s investment program including but not limited to review of portfolio, fund and manager performance.
· Develops and recommends investment program structures, investment policies and asset allocation strategies. Reviews new manager recommendations and oversees all investment processes including changes in asset allocation, managers, rebalancing of the portfolio, new investment funding and the opening and closing of accounts.
· Oversees the investment management and performance of COH’s charitable remainder trust and gift annuity investments.
· Manages all funds held by trustees to maximize investment return within the requirements of the applicable trust program.
· Develops and provides quantitative tools for all treasury services and reports. Develops treasury goals and objectives including policies and procedures, budgets and forecasts.
· Maintains relationships with external banking partners, financial advisors, investment consultants and managers.
· Serves as the day to day interface with rating agencies, trustees, bond authorities, bond investors and investment bankers.
· Manages post-issuance debt compliance program, including tax and debt covenants, arbitrage rebates, tax reporting (Schedule K), use of borrowed proceeds and continuing disclosure.
· Develops internal controls and implement improvements as required to ensure that treasury services are adequately controlled, properly accounted and reported. Assists with all internal and external audits as they relate to treasury services.
· In partnership with Information Security team, co-sponsors the development of Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliance program to ensure enterprise PCI compliance controls requirements are met.
· Monitors and evaluates all banking and investment services, including pricing of cash management and investment services. Manages on-going debt management expenses, and reviews and approves invoices for all other treasury related services.
· Maintains and stay current with all financing structures, alternatives, banking, investment and financial products.
· Prepares materials and provides periodic updates and recommendations to COH’s Investment and Finance Committees of the Board.
· Responsible for special projects and any other duties required by the COH’s Chief Financial Officer.
· Bachelor’s in Finance, Accounting, Economics or related field required.
Minimum Experience :
· Minimum of ten (10) years experience in a financial leadership role and demonstrated experience combining treasury operations, strategic development, business growth, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Requisition ID: 10000498